So this is my first posting on this new blog. It is mostly to do with our thinking about the future library, and as I do a fair bit of thinking, talking and writing on that subject I thought I'd start with a bit of a summary on all of that from 2012. It is a good start because most of the presentations, interviews, events and articles below are about our future in one way or another. Here we go then, mind the step ...
With colleagues from UTS Library (S Schofield, B Tiffen) I co-authored the article “Change and Our Future at UTS Library: It's Not Just about Technology.” Australian Academic & Research Libraries 43 (1) , 32- 45.
I contributed the essay “Design as a Catalyst for UTS Library” for J. Schweitzer & J. Jakovich (eds.) Crowd-Share Innovation: Intensive Creative Collaborations, Freerange Press (2012) , Ch. 2: 114- 119.
I provided a chapter or essay (about the future library) for forthcoming book on the 25th Anniversary of UTS edited by Paul Ashton & Debra Adelaide. (Publication title not known yet, but I'll update this when I find out.)
Various conference, interviews, blog posts and seminar presentations including:
- Design and our Future Library: more than just spaces and technology, a practitioner’s view, by invitation, for UTS:CMOS Workshop on Organisational Spaces. http://www.slideshare.net/malbooth/uts-future-library-more-than-spaces-technology A similar presentation was also given earlier that week to Australian University IT Directors & CIOs.
- For the ALIA Biennial Conference Sydney 2012 (http://conferences.alia.org.au/alia2012/), again with UTS colleagues (B Tiffen, J Vawdrey), I co-presented on Discovery for Academic Libraries.
- Supporting researchers and research publication: impact measured by more than just metrics, for the seminar Measuring and Improving Library Value, 2012. http://www.slideshare.net/malbooth/supporting-researchers
- Creativity and (academic) libraries, for Library 2.012, an online conference run by the School of Library and Information Science at San Jose State University. http://www.slideshare.net/malbooth/creativity-academic-libraries
- Short talk on creativity and innovation in our Library at a Talk it up! Forum with Hael Kobyashi and Chris Gaul. http://hdl.handle.net/2100/1314
- Design as Catalyst at UTS Library, a masterclass for UTS:CI Labs 2012. http://www.slideshare.net/malbooth/design-catalyst-ci-lab-notes
- Making Researchers Famous With Social Media, for UTS Research Week 2012 http://www.slideshare.net/malbooth/making-researchers-famous-with-social-media
- From Search to Discovery in our Future Library (with Josh Vawdrey, who is now managing our IT Section) for the ITD Divisional staff meeting (similar to the presentation given for the ALIA Biennial, but no pdf available, sorry).
- Short talk (as a panel member) for ALIA Sydney event on the Future of Reading: Books Are Not Dead. http://www.frommelbin.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/books-are-not-dead.html and an earlier talk for the same group UTS Library and Sustainability http://www.slideshare.net/malbooth/uts-library-sustainability
- Interview on UTS:Newsroom: From Triathlons to Tomes http://www.newsroom.uts.edu.au/news/2012/09/tomes-to-triathlons?
- Interview with CIO Summer 2012, 58-60: "Going Underground" (with UTS CIO, Chrissy Burns) http://www.cio.com.au/article/444300/uts_library_goes_underground_robotics/
- Various blog posts for ALIA Information Online 2013: see http://informationonline2013.wordpress.com/ (including two long posts about the implications of recent changes in online learning for libraries). Those posts and most of the items listed here can also be found here.
- Interview for UTS Engage about our future library at UTS, with Ryan Diefenbach (film-maker, producer): http://youtu.be/V1n0rgyQ4YQ
- Presentations (several) for CSU students, UTS Information and KNowledge Management students, and TAFE Librarians (from both Victoria and NSW) on the Future Library.
- Presentation for QUT's Information Studies Group (online): Becoming Extraordinary. http://www.slideshare.net/malbooth/becoming-extraordinary