The Library has access to a variety of databases that both specialize in Architecture and also that will help you acquire a background into issues to do with Architecture, such as design thinking, building and philosophy.
Top Architecture Databases
Login using your UTS Webmail details.
- Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals
This primary resource of architectural journals and magazines from around the world. Index only, use the SFX link to search for full text.
- Art and Architecture Complete
The second largest resource of architecutural journals and magazines, with the advantage of having some full text material.
- ARCH: Australian Architecture Database
ARCH is an index of Australian architectural and some design journals and magazines. Limited scope but useful for some Australian based searching.
- Australian Heritage Bibliography
The Australian Heritage Bibliography is a useful database about historic buildings in Australia, and also contains information about Australian heritage generally. It can be searched in conjuction with ARCH if you use the Informit Databases interface and select both of these titles from the (long) list provided.
- Design and Applied Arts Index (DAAI)
DAAI is an index of design journals, related to the Avery Index. Contains some architecture content.
Free index to articles about computer aided architectural design. Partial full text. Requires to you to create a logon to access full text.
Design inform contains journal articles, biographies of designers and architects and digitized versions of 19th and 20th century art periodicals.
- Proquest Discovery - Is the best superdatabase for design, in that it comprises DAAI and the Avery Index in the one search. You will get a lot of extraneous information from your searching however, so knowing how to refine your search will save you a lot of hassles.
Refer to this Tutorial video for some tips on how to do that.
Science & Technology Databases
- ASCE Journals: American Society of Civil Engineers
Full text (complete) journals on engineering topics; includes Journal of Architectural Engineering
- Science Direct
Science Direct has full text (complete) journals in pdf format; useful journals for architecture include:
Energy and Buildings, Applied Thermal Engineering, Applied Acoustics, Building and Environment.
Tutorial for Science Direct
- Academic Search Complete - Tick the 'image quick view' box before searching to return only matches that contain diagrams or illustrations
- Art and Architecture in Video - This is a video databases containing biographies, profiles of contemporary artists and architects, interviews, surveys of art history, aesthetics, theory, criticism, and more, spanning from Greek and Roman forms to the modern.
- ArtStor - Is a purely image database. It doesn't contain architectural images per se but does contain art and design content that may interest you.
- Britannica Image Quest - Is a mighty database containing an enormous resource of images you can reuse in your assignments. It contains pictures from Getty, The British Museum, the Encyclopedia Britannica and many more.
- Proquest Discovery - Is the best superdatabase for design, and has an image restriction feature available from advanced search under 'figures and tables'. It has a 'save to presentation' option also.
- ScienceDirect - Has an image search available from the advanced search mode. It even has video that has been embedded into journal articles that you can refine by.