UTS Library

DRR & eReadings

Login to the Digital Resources Register (DRR) to create a new request, view requests pending, view all resources, and renew past resources.

Provide easy student access to your online lecture notes and eReadings and ensure you meet your obligations regarding Copyright regulations...

Handout: Are you complying with Copyright Law? (PDF)  |  Tutorial: DRR - Requesting new resources

What is the Digital Resources Register?

The UTS Digital Resources Register and Digitisation Service locates, creates and registers electronic copies of lecture notes, book extracts, journal articles used for online teaching at UTS. The digitised copies are stored on a server which provides central record keeping complying with copyright law and the CAL Part VB. Academic staff can include these resources in UTSOnline as well as the Library's eReadings collection. Access is available on and off campus and restricted to UTS staff and students.

How do I place a request?

You may attach electronic files to the online form OR send us your material OR request the Library staff to locate material for you via My DRR.

Why would I need to use this service?

From January 1, 2002, all UTS digital resources for which you or UTS do not own the copyright and are being used for the purposes of teaching and learning must be registered centrally through the UTS Digital Resources Register.

Journal articles, book extracts and lecture notes which contain copyright material - ie tables, graphs etc should be placed on this register. Lecture notes for which you or UTS own the copyright may also be submitted for digitisation and file conversion.

Experienced Library staff can convert teaching resources such as powerpoint lectures and web resources into small black and white PDF files - an easy format for your students to download and print. You will be sent a link to the file which can be included in your UTSOnline subject.

What material doesn't need to be included in the register?

  • material you or UTS have created and currently hold copyright for
  • material for which you have written permission from the copyright holder to use
  • Public Domain material. This is material for which copyright has expired. As a general rule, copyright usually lasts for the lifetime of the creator plus 70 years.
  • images from websites that state they are copyright free (eg creative commons)

Must I submit requests for each item I need to register?

Yes. To enable faster processing and to ensure you have provided all the details required, you need to submit a request for each item. If you have a large number of requests, please prioritise them and submit your requests in batches using the electronic request form.

What if I have artworks, graphs or tables in my file?

This is an incidental artistic work, if it is simply there for the purposes of illustration and is not a standalone work. If you do not have permission or cannot substantiate that the material is copyright free, then it needs to have a copyright notice included at the front of the document saying it is being copied under the CAL agreement, section VB.

Send the file to be registered on the DRR and the Library will include the copyright notice. (It is the Copyright Agency Limited's responsibility to find the copyright owner. If the owner of the copyright in the artwork cannot be identified, you can still copy).

What about registering material in Subject Readers?

You will need to submit an online request form for each item in the reader. Library staff can manually process articles if required urgently for that week, however, further requests will need to be sent via the service's online request form.

Faculty representatives should make prior arrangements with the DRR Supervisor if they require the articles from a large number of subject readers to be placed online. Requests should preferably be submitted during non-peak periods (Oct - Jan; May - Jun). Separate online requests will need to be submitted for each reader article.

Once a request has been placed what will the Library staff do?

Staff will :

  • locate any material not supplied via Library resources or InterLibrary Loan
  • convert material into PDF format, reducing file size for easy download and printing
  • check for copyright compliance and add the compulsory copyright notice
  • send you an email with a link (URL) to the file which can be added to UTSOnline

Requests will usually be processed within 2 working days if the material is provided or available in the Library. Material which is on loan or has to be requested through InterLibrary Loan may take up to 2 weeks. Processing of material may take up to one week or longer in peak periods such as the beginning of semester.

How much can be copied and communicated?

The AVCC has negotiated a statutory licence with the Copyright Agency Limited (CAL) on behalf of all Australian universities. This licence permits us to make digital copies and communicate them, within certain limits. UTS Digital Resources Register staff will check all requests for copyright compliance. Any requests that do not comply are returned to the requestor.

Copying limits:

Books: One chapter or 10% of the total pages of the work, whichever is greater.
Journals: Usually one article per journal issue (more if the articles deal with the same specific subject).

Communication limits:

Books: Only one chapter of a book can be communicated by the university at any one time.
eg "If an Arts faculty lecturer has copied a chapter of Patrick White's Voss and made this available online, no other person in the university can make another part of the same work available online in reliance on the Part VB licence until this first part is taken down."
Journals: One article per journal issue for each course.

For more information on copyright refer to Copyright and UTS.

How long will the material stay online?

Normally you may choose between one semester or one year. You will be sent an email when the link to your material is due to expire. You may elect to extend the online period by replying to the expiry notification email.

How do I re-activate previously used material?

Go to My DRR and select Resources to see the Renew option or contact the DRR staff. You will be sent a reminder email prior to resources expiring. 

Can students access material from UTSOnline?

In response to your registration and digitisation requests, Library staff will send you a link (URL) to your material which you may include in your UTSOnline subject. Students can access material from anywhere on campus or from home or work using their UTS email username and password.

How do students access the material?

Students can access the material via the Library Catalogue by entering the article/chapter title they are looking for. They can also get a listing of all the eReadings for a speciifc subject by entering the subject number and refining by the eReadings field.

What format should my files be in?

Send us files in the following formats. Library staff will normally convert them to PDF documents, an easy format for your students to download and print. Please contact us if you have files in a different format or if you have any problems sending your files.

  • PDF - this is the preferred file format and we supply access to the acrobat reader which is freely available
  • Microsoft Word - Library staff will convert word documents to .pdf files unless requested otherwise
  • PowerPoint - PowerPoint files are often very large. We will normally convert them to .pdf (and remove the colour and condense the slides to 2 or more per page). If you need the file to remain as a PowerPoint, just include a note to staff in your request.
  • HTML - if your .html pages contain any copyright material, then you must send them to the DRR for registration of copyright details. If your faculty has a secure server accessible only by UTS staff and students, you can continue to host the file on your faculty server.
  • JPG images - are normally converted to .pdf

I am a MAC user, does this make a difference?

Apple Macintosh - make sure that your documents are named with a file extension, such as .pdf or .ppt etc as the DRR form will not accept them otherwise.

Can I use an article I have obtained for myself from InterLibrary Loans?

If you have already obtained a copy yourself via InterLibrary Loan, the copy which you obtained was for individual study or research (that is the undertaking you signed when requesting the article). You should make your request through the DRR request form, and the Library will obtain a copy for you via InterLibrary Loan.

Is material used by INSEARCH staff included in this register?

If you wish to include copyright material for UTSOnline for INSEARCH students, then you should use the UTS Digital Resources Register.

If you are an INSEARCH staff member and you wish to include material for students on the INSEARCH Internet site, then you should use the INSEARCH register, not the UTS Digital Resources Register. This is because INSEARCH has its own agreement with the Copyright Agency Limited (CAL) to copy under part VB. (Contact INSEARCH for more information.)

Can I put Chapter 1 of a book online, replace it with Chapter 2, then 3 etc?

Only one copy of an item may be put online across the whole University at one time: The Library DRR staff will check that your copy is the only electronic copy taken from a particular work. There may be concurrent access to the same copy by students in different subjects but it may not be topped up with additional sections from the same work. It is unacceptable to put up Chapter 1, then Chapter 2 etc of a book for the same subject and lecturer.

How do I make a link from UTSOnline to electronic journal articles held by the Library?

Locate the article and copy and paste the URL into your UTSOnline subject. However, some journal databases do not provide stable links or support deep links to a specific article. It is a good idea to check that the link works after you have included it in your online course.

Can I provide copyright material on CD to distance students?

Yes, within the usual limit and after registering the material with the Digital Resource Register. Please contact us and we will provide the necessary copyright notice.

Contact Details

Madeleine Mann
DRR & Digitisation Co-ordinator
Tel: 9514 3376
Fax: 9514 3303



Related Questions

1 answer|13 votes|20443 views|Therese Carmel asked about DRR & eReadings 3 years ago
1 answer|11 votes|18284 views|Susan asked about DRR & eReadings 3 years ago
1 answer|4 votes|9874 views|David van Reyk asked about DRR & eReadings 11 months ago
2 answers|3 votes|6521 views|Susan asked about DRR & eReadings 6 months ago