Select either Windows or Mac below to download the latest version of EndNote (X7) and to check your software compatibility. If you do have any issues with downloading or using EndNote you can visit our Ask a Librarian  page to get help.
If you do not see the version of Windows you are running in the list, please visit the EndNote Support Site . If you need to download an earlier version of EndNote, you will be able to see and download earlier versions when you follow step 1 below.
*32 and 64 Bit versions
To download EndNote please follow the steps below. If you have any issues during this process please contact the library.
- Click on EndNote_X7.zip . You'll be asked for your UTS login details, and then taken to the downloading site. Click on the link that you see there with this name and save the file to your Desktop (in some browsers such as Chrome the file is automatically saved to your Downloads folder, this is OK). The saved file will be called EndNote_X7.zip
- Right click on the saved file and select Extract All ... (if you don't see this option, use Extract here (in new folder) instead. You may need to choose PeaZip to see this).
- Follow prompts and files will be extracted to a new folder called EndNote_X7.
- Open this folder and double click on the ENX7Inst.msi file (this file can have a different name in earlier versions)
- Follow the prompts to install the configuration you require. If you are asked for a product key, this is because you have not properly extracted the file as instructed in steps 2 and 3 above. Make sure you are installing from the file in the extracted folder, not from the file of the same name in the zip folder you downloaded. You should not be asked for a product key. After installation has been completed, you can delete the two EndNote_X7 folders (the zipped one and the extracted one) from your desktop.
Before downloading, please make sure you have the correct system and word processor requirements (to find your system version, go to the Apple menu in the Finder on your computer and choose About This Macintosh, or About This Computer). EndNote X7 will work with all recent versions of Mac OS (ie 10.6 or later) and Word for Mac. Users of Pages (Apple's word processing program) should use either Pages 5.2 or Pages '09. More information about Pages can be found on EndNote's system requirements page .
EndNote's Support Site has more information on compatibility with word processing software . If you need to download an earlier version of EndNote, you should see earlier versions when you follow step 1 below.
To extract the download file you will need to have Stuffit Expander installed on your Macintosh (this should already be installed).
To download EndNote to your Macintosh, please follow the steps below. If you have any issues during this process please contact the library.
- Click on EndNote X7 Site Installer.dmg . You'll be asked for your UTS login details, and then taken to the downloading site. Click on the link that you see there with this name and save the file to your Desktop.
- With some browsers, the file automatically saves into the Downloads folder: that's OK.
- Click on the downloaded file and then follow prompts. If you are asked to drag an EndNote folder, you will see an arrow pointing to a picture of your Applications folder. Drag the EndNote folder onto this picture. This starts the first part of the installation process.
- You should not be asked for a product key. If you get asked for a product key, there was probably a problem with the downloading process. The easiest thing to do is cancel the installation process, delete the downloaded file, and start again (from step 1 above). If the problem still occurs, contact the Library.
- Once the first part of the installation process is done, open your Applications folder. You'll see a folder labelled EndNote: open it and then click on the EndNote icon you'll see there. This will complete the installation process. Once EndNote is fully installed, the downloaded .dmg file may be deleted.