Originally mentioned to me by Terry Royce  of the Graduate Research School, a reverse outline is a tool that can help you analyse and critique the logical progression of your argument through your draft.
How to create a reverse outline:
- Write a perfectly normal rough first draft 
- Abandon it for at least 24 hours so you can see it clearly
- Number each of your paragraphs.
- On a separate piece of paper or document write the main point and any sub points for each numbered paragraph. Note: If you can't describe the main point of the paragraph, it's a pretty good indicator that you need to rewrite it.
- Analyse your outline to see if your argument is logical and if you need to alter the text