This study guide has been designed to bring together all the links you need in order to install and use EndNote for law. At UTS the EndNote legal referencing style is based on the Australian Guide to Legal Citation  (3rd edition, 2010) published by the Melbourne University Law Review , and is called AGLC (UTS).
To use this style with EndNote you will need to download and save 2 small files:
- Legal Reference Types e.g. Reported Cases, Legislation, Parliamentary Debates, Treaties, Books, Journal Articles etc
- AGLC (UTS) style: this allows you to correctly format references and use them with Word. It should already be downloaded on all UTS computers in public areas.
The latest version, EndNote X7, is recommended. You can use an earlier version if you wish, however.
Instructions for installing the Legal Reference Types, and AGLC (UTS) style
First, Download and Install EndNote . Then:
Step 1: Install the special Legal Reference Types
- Right click on the link Reference Types Table  (Macintosh users should use Firefox as web browser, and click on the link while holding down the Control key on your keyboard).
- In Firefox, select "Save Link As". in Internet Explorer, select "Save Target As".
- Save the file to your desktop or any other convenient folder with the name: RefTypeTable.xml
- Open EndNote and click on Edit (on a Mac click on EndNote X7 instead of Edit) then Preferences then Reference Types.
- Click on the Import button in the lower half of window and select the file you just saved.
- Click on Open - Apply - OK (on a Mac click on Open - Save).
- Close the Edit Preferences window.
Step 2: Download the AGLC Reference Style
- Click on AGLC (UTS) 
- Windows users using Firefox should choose "Open with EndNote" and click on OK. In Internet Explorer, choose "Open".
- If you are using a Macintosh, you should use Firefox as your web browser and click on the link, then Save the file. Then go to your Downloads folder and double click on the downloaded file. This may also work on other browsers such as Chrome and Safari.
- EndNote will start and you will see details of the style displayed. Click on File, Save As.
- In the Save As window that appears, make sure the name of the style is listed as AGLC (UTS) - you may need to remove the word "copy" and possibly some other text - and then click on Save.
- Close the style window.
Step 3: Select AGLC (UTS) as your Output Style
- Open EndNote.
- Choose "Select Another Style..." in the drop down styles window.
- Scroll through the list of styles, select AGLC (UTS), and click on Choose.
- Some Mac users are unable to see the AGLC style in the list of styles. If this happens, open your Applications folder, then the EndNote X7 folder. You should see a folder named Styles. Drag your saved AGLC (UTS) style from step 2 above, into this folder. You should now be able to see AGLC (UTS) in the style list (don't worry if there is a bit of extra text after the style name).