Harvard UTS is based on the Australian Government’s Style Manual for Authors, Editors and Printers (6th edn), which is used by governments and universities around Australia. It is being replaced at UTS by the APA referencing style.
Referencing is an essential part of academic communication, serving these main purposes:
- To support claims, arguments, and assertions in your work
- To show evidence of reading and research
- To give credit to the authors of any material that you have referred to in your work
- To help readers find the sources of information you have cited
- To ensure academic integrity and avoid accusations of plagiarism
Take the Avoiding Plagiarism quiz to see how much you know about plagiarism.
Training and support
- Chat to a librarian on Library Chat or contact the Library for assistance with Harvard UTS or other referencing questions.