Join UTS Library from 25- 29 October to celebrate Open Access at UTS with an exciting program of events that will help you better understand Open Access in action and how you can use it to enhance your teaching and research.
Exploring Open Access at UTS
Building upon the international Open Access week theme of structural equity, Open Access at UTS will examine topics in the open education and open research areas, exploring how we can make diversity, equity and inclusion the founding principles for unlocking knowledge at UTS.
Unlocking knowledge for social equity
Utilising Open Access in your teaching and research is a very practical mechanism you can adopt to deliver positive social change and demonstrate your commitment to social equity. Explore the benefits of unlocking knowledge at UTS and the crucial role academics and researchers play in demonstrating we are truly an inclusive university.
- Listen to UTS Library interview Peter Suber, Director of the Harvard Office for Scholarly Communication and the Harvard Open Access Project, as he sets the scene for global scholarly communications and dissects how Australia sits within the context of open infrastructure.
- Join our panel of speakers on Tues 26 Oct as they unpack what Open Access means at UTS and how we can transition and benefit from models of openness.
Using Open Educational Resources (OERs) to enhance the learning experience for your students
Learn how using free, openly licensed teaching and learning materials reduces study costs for your students and removes some of the barriers they experience to accessing course content.
Get practical directions on how to find Open Educational Resources (OERs) and how to embed them in your course effectively.
- Join the panel discussion with experts from UTS and Deakin Uni and discover How open textbooks will change your life.
- Learn how to Unlock educational resources for your class at an online workshop that will show you how to find OERs, what to know about creating your own, and look at the open licensing that makes them possible.
- Explore UTS ePress, the Open Access publishing arm of UTS which is dedicated to removing barriers to knowledge by freely disseminating high-quality scholarly works.
- Browse key open educational resources available in the UTS Library collection.
Increasing the impact of your research
Find out how to harness the potential of open research data to increase the impact and reach of your research and your citations.
- Join a practical discussion about how open data empowers research and the knowledge commons at Open Data: Engaging research, empowering communities.
- Attend the Publishing in Open Access journals workshop and learn how to make your research Open Access, as well as practical tips for how you can find appropriate journals to publish in.
- Read up on the advantages of Open Access publishing, common Open Access policies you should publish your research under and the benefits to your work.
- Watch the short video to discover How and why you should deposit your research in OPUS.
- Practice identifying characteristics of predatory journals and publishers with the interactive Avoiding Predatory Publishing tool.
- Check out Open Access explained, a short video which looks at scholarly publishing and resources.
- Browse the LX Futures Blog for news, events and innovative ways your colleagues are utilising OERs.
- Request a consultation with a librarian to discuss how to find and use open access materials in your teaching or research.