To coincide with UTS Library's latest exhibition On the Fringes, we are seeking creative submissions that explore stories of personal connection, snapshots of community relationships and the cultural traditions that shape our sense of belonging.
Share your creative responses
It’s been a tough few years and finding or maintaining connections with family and friends has been harder than ever. On the Fringes shows us that no matter how much our world changes from decade to decade some universal truths continue to stay the same: we all yearn to belong.
Submit an entry (photo, short story, poem, image, design, drawing) that showcases the spaces, people or places that make up your community and what they mean to you.
Judging and prizes
Competition submissions are judged on their ability to creatively explore the concept of community and connection.
All submissions will be displayed alongside the On the Fringes exhibition (outside UTS Library, level 7) and will be eligible for the following prizes.
- Exhibitors choice: $200
- Artists choice: $200
- Voter's choice: $200
- All current UTS students and staff are encouraged to submit.
- One submission per entrant will be accepted.
- Submissions can depict a community or location of your choosing.
- Submissions should be in a photographic, text based or digital design form. Video or physical submissions will not be accepted.
- Submission deadline: 5pm, Sunday 31 July 2022
- Voting opens: 10am, Thursday 4 August, 2022
- Voting closes: 12pm, Thursday 11, 2022
- Winners announced: Thursday 11 August, 2022
- Visit the On the Fringes exhibition page.
- Please refer to the Terms and Conditions below for competition and submission details.
- Email Mia.Turner [at] uts.edu.au for any questions regarding the exhibition or callout.
Terms and conditions
- Entry to the Competition is open to all current UTS students and staff.
- An entrant or entrants can submit a work individually or as a collaborative submission.
- Entry into the Competition is free.
- The Competition opens at 5pm (AEST) on Friday 27 May, 2022 and closes at 5pm (AEST) on Sunday 31 July, 2022 ("Competition Period").
- To enter the Competition, you must upload a digital image, PDF or document using the submission form. We will not accept any physical or video submissions.
- Each entry must fit with in the 10MB maximum as per the entry details.
Photograph or digital media
- Size limitation: Submission resolution maximum is 300DPI.
- Make sure submission is as clear as possible for high quality printing.
Text based work
- Size limitation: Submission should be 1 page maximum.
- The submissions judged by the exhibitor, artist, and voters' choice will win the below prizes (See prize section).
- Submissions are judged on the bases of the brief, to creatively explore the concept of community and connection.
- Chance plays no part in determining the prize winners.
- The name of the prize winners will be announced on Thursday 11th August 2022 (provided there are a significant number of entries).
- The Exhibitioners Choice Prize Winner selected by artist will receive $200 pre-paid gift card.
- The Artists Choice Prize Winner selected by artist will receive $200 pre-paid gift card.
- The Voters Choice Prize Winner selected by people will receive $200 pre-paid gift card.
You warrant that:
- all details provided with your entry are true and accurate;
- you have all necessary rights and licenses to grant the rights set out in these Terms and Conditions;
- the submission is an original work;
- you are the copyright owner or authorised licensor of all copyright works and subject matter comprising the submission;
- the exercise of the rights granted to the UTS Library in these Terms and Conditions will not infringe the rights of any third parties; and you will indemnify the UTS Library against any loss or damage resulting from any breach of these warranties.
You agree that:
- UTS Library is under no obligation to exercise any of the rights granted to it by these Terms and Conditions.
- UTS Library may use or reproduce your entry and any personal details provided to the UTS Library for any promotional, marketing and publicity purposes of the UTS Library in any media without notice and without any fee paid to you.
- UTS Library is allowed to reproduce your work for purposes of display in the UTS Library physical space and/or online space.
- you will have the opportunity to collect the displayed physical copy of your submitted work at the end of the exhibition display period. If you do not collect your submission two week following the exhibition closing date, the UTS Library will dispose of the physical work.